Sunday, September 13, 2009

And the weekend ends...

I found Buono! on iTunes! I'm totally loving "My Boy" (wouldn't have expected that sort of electro-rock from them when I first heard "Kokoro no Tamago" and "Honto no Jibun", but they seriously pull it off). And they have the full version of "Omakase Guardian", too. No more weird, short, Internet version for meeeee...

But enough about that. Stories of what I did today.

First, I slept in (shocker, eh?), and then I ate brunch. Actually, after sleeping in and before eating brunch, Laura's family came by to drop off some more of her stuff: Her laptop, a mirror, lots of random things that I don't remember because I was making Japanese flashcards at the time. They then went into town so Laura could pick up some stuff from the art store (have I mentioned yet that she's an incredible artist? She's taking Drawing this term, so I'm super excited to see her homework). I stayed here and started reading my Music 101 homework.

That meant reading 55 pages of the basics of music - that stuff I didn't know on the diagnostic test on Friday. The problem was that within those 55 pages, I did know a majority of what they said. Not to mention that they used a ton of metaphors and examples and unnecessary flowery phrases (I'm very sick of hearing about "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" now, although I find it kind of funny that the book talked about it so much the day after I watched that clip from Star Trek that Laura and Brett were talking about where they're camping and they sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"). Nonetheless, I had to go through the whole thing, reading carefully enough to find those few things that I don't know and picking out technical definitions that no one's ever fully explained to me (like how a "tune" is different from a "melody", and all those different words for "rhythm" that those not in-the-know use interchangeably, etc.). And now I have to come up with one or two more decent questions I had about the reading for class tomorrow. It was all awfully self-explanatory, aside from some of it being slightly unclear under all the prose, but that's more my fault than something I can legitimately ask in class.

I think I'm overthinking this. I think that's what I always do.

Anyway, also on the subject of music, my voice teacher e-mailed me the syllabus for voice lessons. I'm a little not pleased about them. For example, she expects us to do at least 30 or 45 minutes or practice every day, requires us to do extra stuff like attending studio classes (I'm not even sure what they are) and being in charge of getting all our music to our accompanists, and, worst of all, requires us to perform in a recital.

I don't want to perform in a recital. My voice is not cut out for art songs, and I've yet to find one that I love enough to put in the practice necessary to pull it off. I really, really don't want to get shoved onto a stage, a freshman and straight out of vocal rehab, and forced to sing some art song in German (that was one of the four languages on the list). The reason I'm taking lessons is so I can learn how to sing safely. I never said I wanted to be an art singer. I don't. I have a gut feeling that this is going to end badly. And I'm getting graded, too. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Maybe it'll turn out better than it sounds like it's going to. We'll see. I'm a little freaked, though.

On a happier note, today was a day of firsts. I just got back from doing laundry for the first time. And I only had to call my mom three times! But you know what? I did two loads and handwashed a few things, and from what I can tell, they all came out un-damaged. That's a win, in my opinion. It took forever, though; at least I was able to work on homework some of that time.

And before that, I went to the fitness center for the first time, even though my "special trainer" hasn't arrived yet (hahahahahahaha...haha...ha...oh God, I'm losing it...). It's a really nice facility. Hopefully I'll be able to get there more often now; I'm getting settled in, so it seems like I will. I felt much better and healthier after exercising, and it's really not that far away from the dorm (I mean, it's 3/4 of the way across campus, but campus is small enough that it's a fairly quick walk). I may change my tune when winter hits, but as long as it stays warm like this, I'm not going to think too hard about winter.

Oh, right, the other depressing thing that happened today is that the elastic on my favorite purple hat broke for no clear reason. I just went to put it on, and it snapped. I need to find out where I can get another one like it pronto. I'll put that on my "Shopping List Mk. 2" (yes, Morgan, that's really what I titled it - Noodleman's rubbing off on me). What are the odds that Target or WalMart is going to have a hat like my purple one? Probably slim... oh, man, it's so depressing...

Okay, I've stalled here long enough. Back to homework, and then to bed. I've got about half a page left to write for FP and that last question or two for Music. What can I ask? "What is the meaning behind the words of 'Row, Row, Row Your Boat'?"...

No comments:

Post a Comment