Saturday, September 12, 2009

Trade-Offs


Last night/this morning marked the very first Post Suite 1 midnight pancake-fest.

I don't know whose idea it was; I just know that yesterday afternoon, someone mentioned to me that they were planning to go down to the kitchen in the basement around midnight to make pancakes. I got on board (and brought Laura along with me), and somewhere around 12:30 am, the seven of us who were still awake went down to the basement, armed with a frying pan, a box of pancake mix, and the mix-ins that the initiating girls found in their rooms. Laura's boyfriend, Brett, ended up coming down to join us, too - I don't think I've mentioned him here yet. Since they lived nearby, they both ended up coming here. He's basically become an honorary member of our suite; I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like he got a bad roommate, so he doesn't seem to like to hang out around his room, and he does like to hang out with Laura. Besides, as someone put it last night, he just fits in like one of the girls. He's a nice guy, and a pretty hard-core Trekkie. I'm getting pretty used to having him around most of the time I'm with Laura and we're out of the suite.

Anyway, we were all downstairs making pancakes. The mix-ins that we had included cinnamon, chocolate (sometimes melted and sometimes in bar form), toffee peanuts (crushed up), apples, pears, sugar, and mint. It was pretty much ridiculously fun. I think we all ate way too many pancakes (and not particularly healthy pancakes, at that), but they were actually surprisingly good, considering the random ingredients. Like, I would make them again. We at the table (Katie and Kiley were the main ones cooking) were even talking about making it and event/club (and laughing about how Knox seemed like the kind of place where we'd seriously be able to do that).

Somewhere around 1:00 (I'm guessing), a girl walked by, and we offered her a pancake. She ended up eating two and sticking around for a while. It was pretty amazing. I don't think I got to bed until 2:30, but it was worth it. Crazy fun.

Of course, that meant I wasn't getting up very early this morning. Still, it was a productive day: I bought my FP books, I did my weekend reading for FP, I did some studying for Monday's Japanese quiz, I (along with Kelsey, who's in the class with me) e-mailed my Music 101 teacher to ask what we should do about the fact that the books we bought from the school bookstore didn't come with the DVD we're supposed to watch as a part of our homework, I found out when my voice lessons are, and I went to the music store with Laura and Kelsey.

And guess what I did there! I got my guitar! Isn't it gorgeous?
It's much fancier than the guitar I have at home. To begin with, it's an acoustic-electric, so it can be plugged into an amp (the singer-songwriter who sang in the lobby the other day had one, too, and it seemed like a useful thing). Plus, it's got a built-in tuner, which is especially helpful now that I don't have a keyboard in my room to use for tuning. And then, it just generally seems to be nicer. Which, of course, means pricier, although I managed to haggle the price down a bit. It's kind of depressing being in charge of my own money, sometimes... But it was really, really bothering me not to have a guitar, and this one's fabulous enough to be my new main one.

Also, it sounds like my printer arrived today (according to the Internet), but the mailroom doesn't open until Monday. I guess I won't be able to do my notebook collages until then (I only have FP Common Experience on Tuesday, though, so that'll be during a two-day homework stretch, which isn't too bad). I'm still waiting on several other boxes/tubes/etc. that should be in the mail, too. You will certainly be updated when they arrive. Lucky you. It's actually kind of fun to have mail to keep looking forward to...

I probably should get back to my homework. I'll go talk to myself in Japanese for a bit, and then maybe start on my paper-thing for FP. So far, the workload's not too terrible. I had to read 46 pages (which equates to about half the book) of Conversation by Theodore Zeldin, which is sort of like the centerpiece of FP (which, I think I already mentioned, is being taught around the theme "Conversations in a World of Strangers"), but it's turning out to be pretty interesting. We have four more books after this, and this one's by far the shortest, but I'll get through it.

Tomorrow I should probably do a load of laundry, and I'll try and make it over to the gym to work out. I'll tell you how all that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment