Monday, September 28, 2009

Sick and decorating

It's been a while since I've gotten a chance to post a blog update. I kind of wish I could say, "Oh yeah, you didn't miss much," because that would mean I'd have less to type now, but unfortunately, it's been a busy week. Fortunately, though, my laziness means that I have to pick and choose the stories I tell, meaning that you don't have to listen to all the random little stories-of-the-day. We'll try and stick to the interesting stuff, k?

First of all, I have been ill. Supposedly, according to the doctor at the health center, with bronchitis, but he said he couldn't be sure. Whatever this illness happened to be, though, he put me on antibiotics, which seem to be helping. Still, though, I'm coughing a lot, and I'm constantly a little tired. Hopefully it goes away soon. And since most people in my suite are sick with something, hopefully I won't just catch something else right away. That would be horrible. I would cry.

Naturally, coughing all the time and subsequently having a sore throat means I haven't been able to do much singing. So far, I've had two voice lessons, and I only sang a little at the first one, and that through a sore throat. When I went last week, right after I had talked to the health center, my teacher just let me go back and scheduled me a makeup lesson for this Friday. Hopefully I'll actually be ready to sing this Thursday. I couldn't tell you for sure yet. I have, however, been writing a few new songs, which I'll hopefully be well enough to work on better soon. I'm also still kind of hoping to find a band here, although I haven't figured out yet where to go to get one. I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

Here's some exciting news, though: My posters from China came today! And they are quite lovely. Haruhi and Shugo Chara... my wall is now complete. And I finally put my lanterns up today, too. Picture time:
I love my room. And I swear, my desk looks worse in the picture than it does in real life...

What next... Oh, I'll tell you about my shopping adventure. On Saturday, I finally decided that I was done with not having floss, fiber one pop-tarts, hanging hooks for my paper lanterns, and a whole list of other stuff, so I decided that it was shopping day. Unfortunately, I was the only one in the suite who needed to go shopping (or at least, who could at the moment--Laura was stuck here with laundry). So, I called myself a cab and set off. It was actually kind of fun. I think I now have everything I need in the room, at least for a while.

Out of the room, though... I'm going to need more warm clothes before long. The weather took another turn for the worse last night: The wind has appeared. It wasn't too cold today, but if this is any hint of what's to come, these t-shirts I've been wearing aren't going to serve me well much longer. And neither is this jacket. I don't like the cold. Illinois... why do you have to be like this... I'll never complain about the cold at home again...

I suppose I can just do one paragraph about clubs in general. I've gone to two clubs so far: Martial Arts Club and Japanese Club. I like them both. Laura was the one who first got me into the idea of Martial Arts Club, but she ended up disappointed after the first day (not structured enough for her). That was fun; we were expecting a sit-down-and-talk meeting where we would discuss what the club did last year and what it wanted to do this year, so we just wore our street clothes, but the guys running the club decided to jump right into a lesson. Front-kick, side-kick, roundhouse-kick drills are fuuuuun in skinny jeans, let me tell you... I went back to the second meeting, and I'm still debating whether to keep going - the downside is that without Laura, it seems like one other girl shows up each time, and then I'm still significantly the smallest, which makes some of the partner drills a little harder for me. Plus, most of the other people have some form of martial arts experience, and I've got one day of Kung-Fu for Writers at the Iowa Young Writers' Studio.

Never mind, I'll do clubs in two paragraphs, because I want to interject something quickly about IYWS: I found a girl in my FP class who went to IYWS 2009! She was apparently supposed to go in 2008, the year I went, in the session a few weeks before mine, which got cancelled because of the floods, so she ended up going this last year instead. I was pretty excited. Okay, back to clubs.

Conversely to Martial Arts Club, I was the one who convinced Laura to come with me to Japanese Club, and she only agreed to come because it was a sushi party, and she wanted sushi--even then, she felt guilty about coming because she was just going for the food. But it turned out that a) that was really all the meeting was about, anyway, and b) judging by how surprised the people running the club were at the number of attendees, Laura was not the only one. But it served the club well in at least one case, because the bribed Laura completely into loyalty, and she excitedly signed up for the e-mail list the next time we passed it in the hallway.

The club I was really excited for coming in was the Ballroom Dance Club (yes, I did just make a third paragraph for clubs--my fingers keep typing, and I can't stop them, you see), but I couldn't go to the meeting last week because I had just learned that morning that I had bronchitis. I found out yesterday at dinner, though, that a bunch of girls from my suite are in it, and they said it's really fun, so I think I'll go this week. I've always thought it would be fun to learn ballroom dancing. There's a chance that'll become my exercise club instead of martial arts club. Although ballroom dancing is less likely to help me fight back if I'm ever attacked by somebody...

...on second thought, those front kicks we were doing just seemed to me like violent développés, so maybe...dance can be used as a fighting technique...like the Queen's Waltz...hahahaha...*gazes up at Shugo Chara poster*
Yeah, that's it for the moment. If I forgot anything vitally important, I'll let you know when I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment