Thursday, September 17, 2009

Everything, belated

I keep having things to tell you, but no time to do it! Hopefully I can remember everything. I'll go look at my last post to make sure I don't get confused and tell you the same story twice.

Oh, right. Now I remember where we are. Monday evening. I think all I did between that blog post and going to bed was to check my e-mail and see that the club messages were starting to come. One was a message from the Japanese Club about a meeting the following evening. The other was from Gaelic Fire, the Irish dance club. I had actually completely forgotten that I'd signed up for that one - I joined it a) because I was so surprised that we had one, b) because it made me think of Aryn and the time she tried to teach me an Irish dance, and c) I was going around joining most of the exercise-related clubs. Unfortunately, their first practice was scheduled for the exact same time as the Japanese Club meeting, and Japanese won that battle. So, with that decision made, I went to sleep.

Tuesday... Oh, right. I woke up the next morning with a mysterious pain in my shoulders. Like, I spent all day trying to massage away the extreme tension. That, and trying to figure out where the pain could possibly have come from. I hadn't done much with weights in the gym the day before, and what I had done didn't seem to involve my shoulders at all. And other than that, what had I done? It took me until the evening to figure it out: Can anyone say, "Carrying a printer box half your size across campus"? Gooooood.

Well, I had to get it back here somehow. ^^; Totally worth it.

And you want to see why? I finished my first notebook collage yesterday! As you'll probably be able to tell, it's my Japanese notebook. My logic is this: In Japanese 101, especially first term, it's perfectly acceptable to cover your notebook with pictures of anime characters. Enough of the people who take Japanese got into it because of anime that no one's really going to judge you for it. Maybe by the time you get to third term, and definitely by second year, you want your notebook to start showing a better depth of understanding - some cultural symbols or some of the kanji you've learned, for example. But if you're just starting out and it makes you obnoxiously excited to be able to flip your notebook closed and point to the character who said the new words and phrases you're learning, then by all means, go for it.

Plus, they're all so very pretty/cute/awesome. Observe:
Plus, I finally found a good use for some of the Hiragana stickers I bought before leaving home (they were so cute, I just had to). They add a nice little pop of glitter, as well as a good use for Itsuki's speech bubble. Itsuki and Nagihiko have each already had a minor peeling emergency, though, so I may have to find a better way to fix the pictures on, especially the ones on the bottom edge. I managed to disguise the cut-off top of Nagi's head, though...

But right, we were still on Tuesday. The only class I have on Tuesdays is the FP common experience, which is a meeting of all of the first-years to watch a film of to hear a lecture. This week we watched a German movie called The Lives of Others. Fabulous movie. It's about a Stasi officer in the GDR before the wall came down. It was all in German with English subtitles (luckily, I'm well-adjusted to subtitles). The idea is that we then incorporate the films into our discussions in class on Wednesday, which is cool. Especially if the movies keep being this good. We're watching Hotel Rwanda in a few weeks, which I hear is very good also, so I have high hopes.

After the movie, I went over to the fitness center again. I seriously love that place; it's like my new home-away-from-home-away-from-home. The times I've been there, at least, it hasn't been all that crowded, and it's nice and quiet for listening to music. Who'd have thunk that the gym would be my calming escape place? College is just full of surprises, I suppose.

Then I went back to the dorm, finished up my homework, and went to bed.

But something's missing, right?

When I signed out at the fitness center, writing "6:30" must have triggered something in my brain, because I suddenly remembered about the Japanese club meeting that was supposed to start at 6:00. Oops. Sumimasen, minna. Next time. I got the e-mail today about what they discussed at the meeting, and I saw posters for the welcome/sushi party, so I'll get there in time.

Now let's see, did anything interesting happen yesterday? Well, for those curious about what song I finally ended up turning in for Music 101 ('cause I'm sure you were all on the edges of your seats about that, there), I chose Imogen Heap's "The Walk". I do love that song, and it just seemed to work somehow. It could be in part because it's a ship song for the story I've been half-working on lately, but it's a good song nonetheless. Never mind the reasons, right? And on the subject of Music 101, have you ever listened to Medieval chant? It's pretty cool, actually. We just got to the part where they invented rhythm in class today.

I mean, like... that's kind of an odd way to put it, but it's kind of the truth at the same time...

Also, I had my first voice lesson today. I really don't know what I think yet; my teacher seems nice (actually, she used to live near UP - she's close friends with one of the music guys (I think) at PLU), which is cool, and it sounds like she knows things I can work on, and she told me she's had other students who've had vocal injuries before, so I guess that's all a good sign. It sounds like I'll be singing an Italian song first, though, and unfortunately, it sounds like there's no way out of the studio classes (basically, we have to sing for everyone else taking voice lessons from her - kill me now) or the concert, which sucks just a little. It also sounds like we will definitely be sticking to the classical music list, which is what I expected and not such a bad thing when you don't factor in the performing part. We'll have to see how it goes. I'm going to try and stay positive, but I'm a little skeptical.

I guess that might be about it. I learned that the convenience store in my building doesn't carry floss, although it does carry three kinds of deodorant, three kinds of fabric softener, and dish soap (which, admittedly, I also needed, and now have). I guess I need other stuff from a real store by this weekend, anyway. And it's already Thursday. I wish the stores were a bit closer. As it is, they're not quite within walking distance, so I need to find someone who has a car who can drive me somewhere.

It's getting a bit colder over here. Leaves falling, all that. I'm not ready for winter. I wouldn't mind a little bit more summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment